St. Antonius Padova Parish, Pasuruan
Before the Parish Was Formed
The entry of Catholicism into the archipelago was officially marked by the arrival of two Jesuit priests, namely Father Jacobus Nelissen and father Libertus Prinssen on April 4, 1808, in Batavia.
Initially, the entire Dutch East Indies was a “mission area” with the status of the Apostolic Prefecture of Betawi. Father Jakobus Nilissen as First Apostolic Prefect. The status of the prefecture was upgraded to Vicariate Apostolic Betawi with Father Yakobus Groff as the First Apostolic Vicar (September 20, 1842) which covered almost the entire archipelago (Dutch East Indies)
Around 1880 there was a suggestion that the Apostolic Vicariate of Betawi (the single one) be divided and the parts entrusted to the Religious Orders. However, it was not until 1902-1919 that many territories were separated from the Apostolic Vicariate of Betawi and appointed as autonomous prefectures. The Apostolic Vicariate of Betawi only covers the island of Java. The division then continued with the establishment of ecclesiastical provinces on the island of Java.
Since February 19, 1923, the mission area entrusted to the Carmel Order has been the eastern part of East Java, which includes the Residency of Malang, Residency of Besuki, and Madura Island, with the small islands surrounding it is the forerunner to the formation of the diocese of Malang, which began with its inauguration.
On August 3, 1923, a "handover" ceremony was held between the Jesuit priests and the Carmel Priests. On May 10, 1927, this mission area was upgraded to the Apostolic Prefecture of Malang by Pope Pius XI and Father Clemens van der Pas, O. Carm was appointed the first Apostolic Prefect of Malang. His inauguration was carried out on November 20, 1927, by Mgr. APF van Velzen, SJ (Apostolic Vicar of Betawi).
Church Building Construction
Prior to becoming a parish, Pasuruan was the station of the Permanent Church which has been regularly visited since 1825. This church building is older than the Church of the Sacred Heart of Kayutangan Malang (1906) and the Lawang Church (1916).
The church building was built with the donation of a Dutch philanthropist named Alexander Manuel Anthonijs. Anthonijs is a successful businessman who is also an employee of Proefstation Oost Java (POJ) which is now known as the Indonesian Sugar Plantation Research Center (P3GI). Because Saint Anthony of Padova is the patron of the Anthonijs family, the catholic church in Pasuruan is also placed under the protection of Saint Anthony of Padova. On July 28, 1895, this church building was blessed by Mgr. WJ Staal, Bishop of Batavia (now Jakarta) as stated on the marble inscription near the main entrance of the old church as follows:
DEZE KERK GESTICHT DOOR DE MILDDADIGHEID VAN DEN WEG. HEER ALEXANDER MANUEL ANTHONYS WERD INGEZEGEND DOOR DEN TIT. BISSCHOP V. MAURICASTRO WJ STAAL JULY 28, 1895
Which translates to: This church, which was built thanks to the generosity of Mr. Alexander Manuel Anthonys, was blessed with the honorary bishop (titulair bishop) of Mauricastro WJ Staal on 28 July 1895.
Formation and Development of the Parish
Since the establishment of the church building, for about 28 years the priest has visited the congregation by riding horses from Surabaya to Pasuruan. In 1923, when a Carmelite priest was assigned to work in the residency areas of Malang, Besuki, and Pamekasan. In 1924, the Probolinggo station was founded. Since then, the Pasuruan Church has been visited by a priest from Probolinggo once a month.
In 1931, the rectory was built at a cost of 1200 guilders. On January 31, 1932, Pasuruan was given a permanent priest, namely Father Gregory Jongmans, O Carm. Then the status of Pasuruan was increased from a station to a parish. After becoming a parish, pastoral services such as baptism, chrism, first communion, death, marriage, etc. may be recorded locally in the parish itself, no longer have to be recorded at the Kayutangan Church of Malang, which was previously the parent church of the Pasuruan station.
It is an interesting thing and a beauty in itself if the date of its founding as a parish is combined with the date of the commemoration of its patron saint. So June 13 was set as Pasuruan Parish Day and 13 June 1932 was the first Pasuruan Parish Day (see sundries).
In 1932, on February 13, 1932, to be exact, it was recorded in the baptismal book, that the first baptism was named Santy Lily, the son of Lodewijk Jacob B. At that time, most of Pasuruan's Catholics were Europeans. However, on March 31, 1934, Betty Djie Kiem Hwa (now Oei Siem Kwie) was recorded as the first Pasuruan to be baptized. Since then the people of Pasuruan have grown.
Starting from 1932 until now there are 23 priests who have served in the Parish of Santo Antonius Pasuruan, both as head priests and as assistant priests. The names and tenure of the pastors of the people in Pasuruan are presented in a separate table
Along with the development of the people, the church building also developed. Beginning in 1975, a new church building was built during the time of Father Harmelijnk. The laying of the first stone was carried out by the Bishop Mgr. FX Hadisoemarto on July 28, 1975, a day after the tenth anniversary of St. Anthony's Church which was then commemorated on July 27, 1975. The new church was blessed by the Bishop on April 4, 1976.
At the time of Father Hudiono, in 1993 the church chairs made of iron and sponge were replaced with wooden chairs with a place to kneel. The roof of the old church was replaced by a new one. The rectory building was also renovated. At the back of the rectory, a two-story building was built which was used as an office and meeting room. In 1995, in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the church building, a strong gate was built towards the City Hall road. During Father Hudiono's time, the people's love for reading the holy book was encouraged.
The Development of the Today's Parish
During the period of 1999-present, during Father Irwanto's pastoral period, many physical developments were carried out, including the replacement of the new church floor, improvements to the decoration and design of the altar and the construction of the Saint Peter's hall, which is attached to the church rectory. Not only the church in Pasuruan, but the Chapel in Bangil Station was also renovated and equipped with various facilities such as painting the way of the cross, hall, office space, organ, and so on.
Not only in the form of physical development, during this period there was a significant development of church activities. Along with the development of democracy in Indonesia, the election of parish councils and neighborhood councils is also carried out democratically.
Pasuruan parish covers the Pasuruan City area and part of the Pasuruan Regency area. It is now ecclesiastically divided into 13 wards and 2 stations. At first, the names of the neighborhoods did not appear regular. Along with the call for devotion to the protector, both personally and in groups such as the environment. In 2001, it was agreed to change the name of the ward and refer to Jesus' early disciples. Name changes are presented in the table. Along with this name change, on each patron feast date, the wards held devotions and celebrations.
According to the BPGDA notarial deed, the official name of the Pasuruan Parish is 'St. Anthony". To clarify, since many saints were named “Antonius”, the name “St. Anthony Padua". At the time of Father Irwanto, the name was adapted from the original name of the city in Italy to be St. Anthony Padova. (For more details see sundries).